Manchester City Art Gallery
- The Clore Interactive Gallery, a lively new space for children 5 - 12 years old. A combination of real artworks and exciting hands-on activities opens young people`s eyes and minds to art and is fun for parents too! Add dialogue to an animated film, morph your face with mythical creatures or listen to spooky stories told by a figure that `comes alive` from a 19th century painting. There are additional hands-on activities within the main galleries and a chance to create your own work of art in the Clore Drawing Space.
- Two touchable bronze sculptures and a Handling Trail (in the Gallery of Craft & Design)
- A Family Audio Tour narrated by Monty Python`s Terry Jones. The tour features children`s thoughts and opinions on various works of art throughout the Gallery on an easy to use handset that can be stopped and started at any time.
- Follow the trail of picture labels by children's illustrator Tony Ross, taking a humorous look at some of the Gallery's works of art. His drawings have been so popular they are now available in a new book, The Gallery Cat, published by Barefoot Books. Join Valette, the Gallery Cat as he takes his young friends Adam and Katy around Manchester Art Gallery. The book is available from the Gallery Shop, priced £4.99.
- The Family Trail activity packs are designed for family groups with children up to 12 years old. Each backpack contains fun activities themed around the artworks in a particular area of the Gallery. Story bags are an alternative for younger children aged 2-4 years. Each delightful, tactile character bag contains a novelty cushion to sit on, an activity to play with and a story book to read together. Story Bags and Family Trail activity packs are free to borrow from the Information Room (returnable deposit required).
We currently have a section on our website devoted to children although this needs updating, we have compiled a list of children friendly activities as listed below:
Adventure playground and lots of children's events throughout the year Vast medieval deer park, moorland and woodland estate to explore
Great Animal Centre, two dedicated children’s play areas providing a range of activities for children aged from 3 years up to 14 years, rowing boats, tram rides, pitch and putt - loads to do - wow!
Museum of Science and Industry
The whole family has fun at The Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester. Situated in five large buildings packed with exciting galleries, exhibitions and daily events, there is something for everyone to experience and enjoy.
Imperial War Museum North
The award-winning Imperial War Museum North is located at The Quays– a waterfront destination 2 miles from Manchester city centre - and offers dynamic display techniques, audio-visual shows and family interactives to reflect on how people’s lives are shaped by war.
Urbis is an exhibition centre of city life. With our interactive exhibits you can take a ride through different cities around the world, create your own identity card or go global to discover a 3D satellite view of any city on the planet with our interactive version of Google Earth.
The Lowry Arts Centre
The Lowry is a spectacular waterside building housing theatres, galleries, restaurant, café/bars, gift shop and Tourist Information Centre. Visitors can enjoy guided tours, the Meet Mr Lowry film, work by Britain’s most popular artist alongside contemporary art plus a wealth of fabulous theatre entertainment and participatory activity for all ages
Manchester United Museum and Tour - See for yourself why more than 200,000 people visit the Museum every year! Young or old, United fan or not, it really is something to savour and tell your friends and family about.
Manchester City FC Experience
The Manchester City Experience - Museum & Stadium Tour combines the rich sporting history of Manchester City Football Club with a 75-minute tour of the awe-inspiring City of Manchester Stadium.
East Lancashire Railway
The service operates historic steam trains from Rawtenstall to Heywood passing over viaducts and through tunnels. There are special events throughout the year, such as Santa specials and Friends of Thomas the Tank Engine.
Manchester Airport Tour
Trained guides show the airport’s facilities to over 20,000 visitors each year with superb audio visual and lecture facilities contained in the Tour Centre
Taking film to the max, an IMAX film is a futuristic ride of adventure and spectacular 2D and 3D effects, taking you through the cinema screen and into the heart of the action.
The Lowry Hotel has an onsite car park and offers valet parking. For all visits during the day there will be a charge of 8 pounds per car and for all overnight stays a charge of 15 pounds will be applicable.
On - site parking at The Lowry Hotel is subject to availability and we reserve the right to allocate spaces for overnight residents of The Lowry Hotel.